A huge weed has been discovered on the east coast that can cause third-degree burns and even blindness. So far the plant has only been found in Virginia however, everyone should be on the lookout for this dangerous plant. A warning on Facebook was shared to alert people in the Norfolk area about the invasive plant, which can grow to almost 15 feet. Check it out and keep an eye out this summer for Giant Hogweed.
Today I helped ID VA’s first giant hogweed population! Its sap causes severe burns. One plant was found in Clarke County. Report sightings to your extension agent! ID help: https://t.co/VMkYqyaccB Thanks to @herbariumkeeper and @VTAgWeeds for ID help and report! pic.twitter.com/4BM9RhyMem— VT Massey Herbarium (@MasseyHerbarium) June 12, 2018
Be careful if you encounter this invasive plant! The clear watery sap of Giant Hogweed contains toxins that can cause dermatitis (inflammation of the skin). It can cause burns if you get the sap on your skin and the skin is then exposed to sunlight. pic.twitter.com/zg2XB30gtN— Invading Species (@invspecies) June 14, 2018