Gov. Gavin Newsom said that "strip malls and shopping malls are now able to open for pick up only. Although he gave the green light across the state he did allow for individual counties to set their own rules and reopen at their own pace.
Gov. Newsom also laid out info on the reopening of restaurants. The full list of new requirements would mean that restaurants offering dine-in services would have to abide by several new rules including:
- Physical distancing to the maximum extent possible
- Face coverings by employees and customers/clients
- Frequent hand washing and regular cleaning and disinfection
- Guests and visitors should be screened for symptoms upon arrival, asked to use hand sanitizer, and to bring and wear a face covering when not eating or drinking
- Any area where guests or employees queue should also be clearly marked for appropriate physical distancing. This includes check-stands and terminals, deli counters and lines, restrooms, elevator lobbies, host stands and waiting areas, valet drop off and pickup, and any other area where customers congregate.
- Consider allowing dine-in customers to order ahead of time to limit the amount of time spent in the establishment.
- Ask customers to wait in their cars or away from the establishment while waiting to be seated.
- Close areas where customers may congregate or touch food or food ware items that other guests may use. Provide these items to guests individually and discard or clean and disinfect after each use, as appropriate. This includes but is not limited to: Self-service areas with condiments, Self-service machines including ice, soda, frozen yogurt dispensers, Self-service food areas such as buffets, salsa bars, salad bars, etc.
- Discontinue table side food preparation and presentation such as food item selection carts and conveyor belts, guacamole preparation, etc.
People around the country are already getting a jump on the 'new norm.' A Canton, Ohio breakfast cafe owner has come up with a a solution to the state's social distancing rules, using clear shower curtain liners to divide tables. Twisted Citrus co-owner Kim Shapiro told USA Today "I came up with the idea for clear, vinyl shower-curtain liners as dividers between tables. They're suspended from the ceiling with hooks and drop down to where the back of a chair would be." Shapiro hopes to keep her cafe clean when it reopens May 21st, saying "We can spray down the curtains with Lysol and COVID cleaner spray."