It's going to be super hot this weekend in the bay area and many of us have dogs who also feel the heat. So here are 5 things you can do to protect your dog in the heat;
1. Never leave your dog in the car. When it's 80 degrees outside, your car can get to 99 degrees inside after 10 minutes and 114 degrees after 30 minutes.
2. Take walks during the cooler hours of the day. Especially if your dog is black like my dog Bueller. His coat gets very hot when it's warm outside so I walk him either very early in the morning or late at night.
3. When walking try to stay off hot surfaces like asphalt because it can burn your dog's paws.
4. Make sure your dog always has access to water.
5. If your dog is outside, make sure they have areas with shade.
A few slices of watermelon can also hydrate and cool down your dog! Skip the seeds and rinds, and a small slice can be useful on hot days! Thanks canigivemydog.com for the info.
You can also check out ASPCA's article below for more helpful tips.