Tis the season to decorate the house with all kinds of lights, wreaths, and trees but you have to remember to be safe. Every year fire departments respond to fires caused by our trees so here are some tips to keep your tree and family safe this holiday season.
1. If you are buying an artificial tree make sure it says fire resistant or flame retardant.
2. If you are choosing a live tree make sure it's fresh, not dry by testing the tree to see if the limbs are flexible and the needles don't just fall off when you touch them.
3. Keep your tree watered with fresh water daily
4. Use lights that are marked UL. This means they've been tested for safety standards.
5. Turn off the lights when going to bed or leaving the house
6. If you celebrate Hannukah and use a menorah, place the menorah on a non-flammable surface where kids and pets can't reach.