Now that city officials are advising people to wear a mask when outside, here are simple instructions so that you can make your own mask at home thanks to our friends at KRON 4:
The materials you will need are a tightly woven or non-woven machine washable fabric, material for inner lining, a 1/4-inch of elastic and a large paperclip.
Below are instructions from Inside Edition’s Deborah Norville.
- Using template, cut two pieces of fabric – 9″ x 7″
- Cut one piece of 9″ x 7″ inner lining
- Cut two 5 & 1/2″ pieces of elastic
- Lay the fabric right side together with inner lining on top
- Stitch 1/4″ seam across the top 9″ side
- Flip and bring wrong sides together. Open paper clip and place in center “pocket” as indicated on the template
- Stitch pocket around paperclip
- Return to wrong sides sides together
- Place end of one piece of elastic on side below top seam, place other end at lower edge, allowing for 1/4″ seam
- Stitch in place, stitching about 1″ around lower edge
- REPEAT for other side. Clip corners and turn
- Stitch lower edge closed
- Using template, make three 1″ pleats across mask. Be sure pleats are directed down
- Pin and stitch pleats 1/4″ from edge
- Stitch a second time, with stitching at edge of mask
This mask can be washed and reused.
For the visual learners, you can find videos embedded below.
Photo Credit: Getty Images